The large volume of requests we receive asking transfer questions has necessitated that we automate the process. We prefer to treat our customers like adults and assume a certain minimum level of intelligence. To that end, we have created this system to streamline the transfer process. Answers to your transfer questions can be found by reading below. If your situation is unique and not specifically addressed below, you may send us the details via email to email@example.com and we will do our best to answer in a timely manner. Nothing in this policy shall supersede state and/or federal law.
IN CALIFORNIA, THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF FIREARM TRANSFERS; THEY ARE:
A. DEALER TRANSFER
Any time the firearm is SHIPPED to us, it is a dealer transfer, regardless of who shipped it, or where the shipment originated. It is NOT a private party transfer, even if a private party (non-FFL) shipped the gun. We will accept shipments from private parties (non-FFL) as long as they submit the proper documentation (required by law).
B. PRIVATE PARTY TRANSFER
A private party transfer occurs when BOTH the buyer and the seller are in the physical presence of the transferring FFL (that means they both physically came in to the store), and BOTH are CA residents, and BOTH have valid CA identification. If any other criteria exist, the transaction is by default a dealer transfer, not a private party transfer, and is therefore subject to the rules & fees of a dealer transfer (see A. above).
GENERAL TRANSFER GUIDELINES
1. For long guns, the firearm MUST be CA-compliant BEFORE it arrives here. We are NOT allowed to convert your firearm to CA-compliance after it arrives. Consult the CA Assault Weapon rules if you are not sure of the gun’s legality. You may contact us via email (or our website contact page) with the details of the gun and we will do our best to advise you regarding its status. However, we have been extremely busy and it could take several days before you get a response. We are an assault weapon licensed dealer for law enforcement. Peace officers can contact us via our email for assault weapon transfers.
2. We can receive standard capacity (over 10 rounds) magazines for law enforcement customers only. We cannot transfer standard capacity (over 10 rounds) magazines to civilian customers. We can only transfer low capacity (10 rounds or less) magazines to civilian customers.
3. For handguns, they MUST be listed on the California “Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale”, unless you are exempt. If you order a non-Roster handgun for transfer and have it shipped to us, and you are not exempt, you will be charged a $62.81 dealer transfer fee, 20 % restock fee, and shipping costs to send it back. This fee is separate from any and all costs levied by the original seller for return of the gun to them and it must be paid to us before we will return the gun to the shipper. Refusing to pay the fees will be a forfeiture of the handgun.
4. There are generally four exceptions to the Handgun Roster. They are:
A. Law Enforcement (active duty, sworn LE are exempt from the Roster)
B. Private Party Transfer (the Roster does not apply to PPTs; see B above)
C. Personal Importer (someone moving to CA from another state, within 30 days of arrival)
D. Interstate Intrafamilial Transfer (submit all questions about this type of transfer via email or on our contact page. We will do our best to answer them in a timely manner).
To transfer a firearm through us, you must follow these simple steps. Deviation from them causes us to spend more time than necessary and will result in delays, or worse, the possibility of us ignoring your request. The high volume of transfer requests we receive every day necessitates this policy, and without it, it becomes impossible to manage the volume of transfers efficiently and provide the excellent service to which our customers have become accustomed.
After you make your purchase, you must send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org containing the following four items:
1. Your Name
2. A description of the gun, AND if available/applicable, your order number for reference.
3. Your seller’s email address, NOT their fax number (we do NOT fax anything).
4. Your seller’s FFL status (Are they a federal firearms licensee or private party)
After we receive your email, we will contact your seller directly to transmit the required documentation and arrange for shipment of the gun. WE WILL CALL YOU when your gun arrives and we have processed the shipment. Please do not just show up in the store asking to do the transfer. We will not start your DROS unless the gun has arrived. Any firearms transferred to Redding Guns LLC without proper contact information or left at store for longer than thirty (30) days will become the property of Redding Guns LLC for compensation of transfer and/or storage fees.
Your transfer transaction will consist of three fees. They are the transfer fee, the DROS fee, and sales tax (unless exempt or already paid, and documentation is provided).
The fee amounts are listed below:
Dealer Transfer Fee (civilian) - $62.81 for the initial firearm then $10 each additional firearm. Firearms not transferred thirty (30) days after receiving the firearm will incur $5 per day, starting the 31st day, for storage fees.
Dealer Transfer Fee (active duty law enforcement or military) - $45 for the initial firearm then $10 each additional firearm
Private Party Transfer Fee - $10 per firearm (per CA law)
DROS (Dealer Record of Sale/background check) - $37.19
SALES TAX – 7.25% We are required by the CA BOE to collect sales tax on all transfer guns shipped by dealers from outside California, unless the seller already charged sales tax AND sends documentation to that effect. If the seller does not send a receipt showing sales tax paid, we will charge sales tax on the MSRP of the gun. Do not ask us to risk our business by defrauding the state of California of tax revenue that is due by law, because you do not want to pay the sales tax.
We conduct PPTs during normal business hours: 10 AM – 5 PM on Tuesday – Saturday.
We ONLY ship to FFL’s inside the United States. We charge the Dealer Transfer fee outlined above and shipping/handling costs plus postal insurance due at the time you drop the firearm off. For a quote, email us at email@example.com.
AMMUNITION TRANSFER FEE'S & INSTRUCTIONS:
These fees are only applicable for ammunition transferred to Redding Guns from other vendors. These fees are not for ammunition we stock & sell. For pricing & availability on ammunition that Redding Guns sells or for any questions regarding ammunition transfers please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
CASH ONLY CREDIT/DEBIT
UP TO 5000 ROUNDS $25.00 $35.00
5000-10000 ROUNDS $35.00 $45.00
GREATER THAN 10000 **PLEASE CONTACT US FOR A CUSTOM QUOTE**
7.25% CITY OF REDDING SALES TAX MUST BE COLLECTED ON THE INVOICED PRICE.
All transferred ammunition orders must be collected within 5 business days (Tue-Sat). We will charge a $10.00 per day storage fee starting on the 6th day. Any orders not picked up by the 15th day will be considered abandoned to cover any storage expenses.
All transferred ammunition orders must come with an ORIGINAL vendor invoice, we will not accept customer supplied invoices. If no invoice is supplied we will charge sales tax on the full MSRP of the ammunition purchased. No combining multiple shipments from other vendors. Redding Guns LLC is not responsible for lost or damaged items. Please wait for a call from Redding Guns before coming in to pick up.
IN-STORE FACE TO FACE PRIVATE PARTY AMMO TRANSFERS:
$5.00 (CASH ONLY) (NO SALES TAX COLLECTED)
PRICES SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME
California Code of Regulations Title 11, Division 5 §4263. Vendor Fee for Processing a Private Party (non-vendor) Ammunition Sale
In addition to any applicable Department of Justice fee, an ammunition vendor may charge the purchaser a fee(s) for processing the sale of ammunition between two private parties as follows:
(a) If the purchaser will be present for immediate delivery of the ammunition, the fee shall not exceed five dollars ($5).
(b) If the purchaser will not be present for immediate delivery of the ammunition, the vendor may charge an additional storage fee as agreed upon with the purchaser prior to the vendor receiving the ammunition.